Proximity to Rail, Road & Water made the River District a Distribution Center
Through the early 1900’s, the area now known as the River District was subject to flooding and drainage problems. As new levees were constructed, the area became a focus for warehousing and distribution due to its proximity to major water, rail and road arteries that could distribute the agricultural products of the fertile Sacramento Valley throughout the nation.
In the early 1920’s, the City of Sacramento constructed the water filtration plant that is located in the western portion of the area, adjacent to the Sacramento River.
In 1928, the California Cooperative Producers Company built a tomato cannery in the area. That plant was later bought by Thomas S. Richards, Sr. who, together with landowners Henri and Peter Bercut, formed the Bercut-Richards Packing Company. It became the largest independently owned cannery in California.
During World War II, the Federal government constructed the Dos Rios (now Twin Rivers) housing complex and in 1952, a printing plant was developed at North 7th and North B streets to serve the State government. The area was annexed to the City of Sacramento in the 1950’s and early 1960’s.